Friday, August 12, 2011

One Year, an inventory of sorts

It was a year ago today i rode my bike to the Huntsman Cancer Institute and had my right foot amputated to stop the spread of that nasty, little beast cancer. On some levels, i don't really know what to say about the last year, so instead, i figured i'd provide a photo inventory of some of the things i've lost and some of the things i've gained. With the intent of ending on the positive, i'll start with losses and move to gains.

Some of the things i lost over the past year:

My sister-in-law Bunny who was killed after being struck by a truck while riding her bike.


My mom, who passed away after a long battle with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy.


My dog Hannah, who passed away of old age.


My right foot, removed to rid my body of cancer.


Two of my dearest colleagues, who left Utah to move back to their respective hometowns.

My best friend.

My training partner.


And a few of the year's gains:


An invigorated appreciation and respect for life.

An invigorated appreciation and respect for my health and all that my body and mind are capable of.

An appreciation and deep gratitude for technology.


Qualification for the US National Paracycling team.

Two bronze medals.

New motivation to ride and train.

Some new feet.

A couple of teaching awards.

New friends, communities, and inspirations.


No comments: