Saturday, September 1, 2007

pure delight



One of my favorite things in the world, i mean one of my absolute favorite things ever, is a fresh basil, cucumber, tomato sandwich. One of the beautiful pleasures of home gardening. I eagerly await the the first fresh tomato of the season so i can make one of these. My garden was a little late this year, so i had to wait a little longer, but finally the other day i made my first btc sandwich of the year (pictured above). I only eat these in season because they taste lousy with grocery-store cukes or tomatos.

I have been making these for years and i am very specific about how to make them. For a perfect BTC sandwich, try this out:

Toast two pieces of seven grain or honey wheat bread.
Lightly coast the toasted bread with butter and miracle whip (i know miracle whip is processed and all, but i love it).
Put big juicy slices of a fresh, juicy, organic tomato on the bread (i prefer black krim or cherokee purple).
Put a layer of vinegar-marinated cucumbers on the sandwich (to marinate my cucmbers i Put the sliced cukes in a mix of 2 parts vinegar, 1 part water, salt, and sugar to taste and diced fresh peppers to add some heat).
Salt and pepper the cucumbers.
Layer full leaves of fresh basil on top of the cukes.
Top off with the second piece of bread and enjoy.

No comments: